Friday, March 19, 2010

Mo. American Water Co. Proposes Approx. 22% Rate Increase

Missouri American Water Company ("MAWC") filed a proposal with the Missouri Public Service Commission ("PSC") that may affect your water bill. MAWC proposes to increase its gross annual revenues from all its water service territories (excluding sales and other gross receipts taxes) by $48,558,667 in the aggregate.

For the typical St. Louis County residential customer using 22,500 gallons per quarterly billing cycle, the proposed increase would be approximately $16.18 per billing cycle, if this rate request is approved in full. The proposed increase would represent an overall increase of 22.90 percent for the St. Louis County District.

If you would like to comment on MAWC's proposal, you may do so in several ways. You may:

• In person: Testify at the local public hearings which have been set as follows:

March 31, 2010
St. Louis Community College Meramec Campus
Business Administration Building, Room 105
11333 Big Bend Road
St. Louis, MO 63122

April 1, 2010
University of Missouri St. Louis
Millenium Student Center Building, North Campus
Century Room
One University Boulevard St. Louis, Missouri 63121

Question-and-answer session begins at 6:00 p.m.  The public hearing will begin at 6:30 p.m.

• By mail: Mail a written comment to the PSC at the following address: Missouri Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 360, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102

• Electronically: Submit a comment to the PSC through the Internet by accessing the PSC's Electronic Filing and Information System (also called "EFIS") at reference File No. WR-2010-0131).

• Through the Office of the Public Counsel: P.O. Box 2230, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102, telephone 573-751-4857 or toll-free 866-922-2959.

Comments are viewable by the public. Do not include any information in a public comment that you do not wish to be made public.

If you have a question or complaint about your utility service, please contact the PSC's Consumer Services Hotline at 1-800-392-4211.


  1. Wanda Lane12:48 PM

    In reference to File No. WR-2010-0131 I am op posed to this proposed increase. I am a Social Security disability receipient and on a fixed income. I feel the water company does not need this increase because they are not providing any
    additional services.

  2. Reference File No. WR-201010131
    Once again a utility company is requesting and increase in fees for usage. As a resident of St. Louis County Water District I would like to submit a comment for consideration, since I am unable to attend the public hearings:

    "Residents living on permanent limited incomes due to retirement; illness; or disabilities do not receive increases comparible to those requested by utilities companies. Due to the non-increase status of their income a separate catagory should be created and instituted for NO INCREASES DUE TO LIMITED INCOME. These residents should be exempt from future increases until such time as their income is increased at a comparable rate as requested by utilities."

    JUSTIFICATION: Residents falling into the above named catagories struggle to make ends meet in the every increasing cost-of-living from month to month while past up for income increases. After having experienced the financial losses the citizens of this country are recovering from, upcoming years both finanically and economically will be difficult. Is this the time to shoot them in the other foot??? Thank you for reading this, hopefully I have made an important point for the utilities (water)company and the Missouri Public Service Commision to ponder before this increase is passed.

  3. Anonymous2:46 PM

    In reference to File No. WR-2010-0131: I am retired on an inadequate fixed income; social security plus a small amount from the state of Mo. I was age 57 when I finally made enough money to buy a home of my own in 2001. I could only afford a home in a neighborhood that was full of drug dealers and addicts. With all the rate increases from the electric co., the water co. and the gas co. etc. I am having an extremely difficult time making my mortgage payments. The funny thing is, my mortgage payments are considerably less than rent in this impoverished area, of N.St.Louis County. I'ts even higher in the ares of W.St.Louis County where I am originally from. Where am I suppose to live when I loose my home? Most of the time the discounts allowed Senior Citizens by utility companies, while appreciated, are very small and inadequate. Jobs are hard to find, and hard to keep by me, since I have a reading disorder and depression which makes me a slow worker. It doesn't make a difference that I am a hard, consistant worker. Thank you. Carolyn

  4. Thanks for sharing so significative article with us. I agree with your idea competely.I am looking forward to another great article from you. Sunny Isles Condos for sale