Saturday, June 02, 2007

Question - Non-English Speaking Residents

We have a problem in our subdivision in collecting our assessment. We have a family here that does not speak English.

We have sent them our notices and have talked to their neighbors, but they do not respond. We don't know if any family members, such as children, speak English. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? We don't want to force payment via a lien as this is a lose situation for all. Thanks.


  1. Mary Smith10:07 AM

    Write up a simple, basic letter to the individual explaining in simple terms why there is an assessment and the value it gives to them. THEN . . . have the letter translated into their native language and send this along with your English letter and your invoice for the assessment.

    Make certain you explain the problems they will incur by not paying. You will have to find somebody to translate, possibly through the library or county government agencies.

  2. Anonymous11:46 AM

    Suggestion - make this a generic type letter that you can save and use in the future with this home owner or others to explain the situation. Just make a copy and send it with the English invoice.
    Good Luck.

  3. Gary Brown10:13 PM

    If you know what language they speak, there are several translation sites on the web, where you can type in English ,and it will translate it for you.

  4. The following web site can be used to translate from English to other languages. Worth a try.

  5. Anonymous4:17 PM

    We have tried this approach in Antonette Hills Subdivision and it did not work. A person living in our subdivision translated the letter which was mailed to them with the option to speak to a Trustee thru the translator. Hopefully you will have better luck!